I recently came across this great venn diagram describing the social networking community:
- You can monitor or participate in a more immediate social conversation than blogs or forums allow.
- It extends an email-like information exchange between people that would otherwise not email each other.
- You can let people know about events quicker than via email as the 140 character messages are more compact and therefor easier to monitor on your mobile device.
- Another channel to monitor and respond to.
- Your fellow tweeters often tweet about things you don't want to know about. Yes, I do want to know if you discover a fantastic new analytic. No, I don't (always) want to know what you had for lunch!
- Monitoring the twitter community for talk about business intelligence, analytics, data warehousing and performance management.
- Following many interesting people and organisations in the same space.
- Tweeting (automatically) so people know when I blog.
- Tweeting very occasionally when I think other people would like to know about something - and it can't wait for my next blog or CORTEX post.